1. This competition is only open to final year students studying a higher education photography based course at university or college.
2. This competition is open to students studying in the UK and Republic of Ireland.
3. Employees of Nikon and their immediate families, its agents or anyone professionally associated with this activity may not participate in this competition.
4. This competition runs from 4th October 2010 to 31st March 2011.
5. If you are not a British national or from the European Union, a valid work permit for the United Kingdom is required. Entrants must be over 18.
6. Images must be submitted digitally by uploading to the Nikon Foundation entry area on www.nikonfoundation.co.uk. Files must be in .jpeg format with a width of 1600 pixels. Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution. If your images need to be viewed in order please number the images within the label.
7. Each entrant must submit a minimum of 5 to a maximum of 12 images in a single zip file, which should be no bigger than 30MB, with an accompanying covering letter of up to 500 words.
8. Entrants must complete the online entry form. The contact fields on the internet entry form must be filled in correctly. Nikon cannot be held responsible for entries with incorrect contact details.
9. Entries for the Nikon Foundation competition must be received no later than the 31st March 2011 (11.59pm).
10. Entries will be judged on:
Content of covering letter
11. The 10 shortlisted entrants will be notified by 8th April 2011.
12. The interview will take place on 20th April 2011 at John Wright’s studio in London.
13. The decision of the panel of judges will be final. The judging panel is comprised of John Wright, representatives from Nikon and a leading magazine editor.
14. All files will be retained by Nikon UK Limited, and cannot be returned.
15. Any images deemed inappropriate will be excluded from this competition.
16. Copyright in all photographs submitted remains with the photographers who submitted them. However if your entry is selected by Nikon as a winning image, you will give non-exclusive rights to Nikon to use your name and the image in connection with the promotion of the competition. You also certify that you hold the rights to grant such permission.
17. Winning images will be used in any promotional material or publicity connected to the Nikon Foundation Competition and will credit the photographer. Nikon will retain free usage rights of the image for a maximum period of 24 months.
18. Where necessary entrants must be able to obtain subject’s permission for inclusion within the images.
19. The winner may be required to take part in or be involved in publicity surrounding the competition or Nikon.
20. The Winner will be notified regarding image usage rights should Nikon be approached by a third party with any commercial opportunities related to the additional usage of the image or images.
21. All reasonable care will be taken in handling photos and digital files, but Nikon UK Limited will not assume any responsibility for their loss or damage.
22. Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner.
23. Failure to comply with and accept all of the preceding terms and conditions will disqualify any entry.
Prize Terms & Conditions
1. The prize consists of: three months paid employment with John Wright as a Photography Assistant with an annual salary of £15k pro rata, £3,000 cash and a Nikon professional camera and lens kit worth £4,000 (RRP)
2. The winner will be expected to sign a 3 month contract with John Wright. The contract will include a 1 month probation period.
3. John Wright Photography’s own employment terms and conditions will apply.
4. Either party (John or the winner) can terminate the contract at any point subject to the terms and conditions within the employment contract.
5. This £3,000 will be fulfilled by cheque. It is the winners’ responsibility to cash the cheque whilst it is still valid.
6. The prize of the professional camera and lens kit is subject to availability. If, for any reason, the selected product becomes unavailable Nikon UK reserve the right to supply a suitable alternative product.
7. Promoter: Nikon UK, Nikon House, 380 Richmond Road, Kingston upon Thames, Surrey KT2 5PR.